Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1989 CU vs. FSU...Enjoy!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

1989 CU vs. FSU...Enjoy!

Jul 12, 2010, 8:30 PM

Puntrooskie? Payback's a b!@#$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s3B8k6zEOs&feature=related

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does anyone else, when they hear that intro music for ESPN

Jul 12, 2010, 8:50 PM

have almost...I don't know chills, powerful reminiscing feeling? It's hard to explain unless you have been a big college football fan going back to at least the 80s which I'm sure a lot on here have been. I would imagine some of you know what I'm trying to say, right? Powerful memories I guess. Good memories that involve watching college football on a Saturday night!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for me, it's the CBS music, from the big early 80's games.

Jul 12, 2010, 10:57 PM

and I noticed the old slower cadence count. It's just too dang fast these days.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great game great team defense

Jul 13, 2010, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Does anyone else, when they hear that intro music for ESPN ]

i won a $20 bet from a ugag fan that couldn't shut up talking down Clemson before the game.

Of course like a true ugag fan he never paid up after the beat down was administered.

Braggarts and bet welchers both need a special place in hades.

"When you play Clemson, leave the women and children

Jul 12, 2010, 8:50 PM

at home".

Win, lose, or draw, anybody who played a Danny Ford coached Clemson team came away battered and bruised.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'll never forget sitting in DV after the puntrooski game.

Jul 12, 2010, 8:55 PM

1989 was an awesome payback.

This is much more better vs the HR Derby.***

Jul 12, 2010, 9:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Or even Roler Derby***

Jul 12, 2010, 10:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 1989 CU vs. FSU...Enjoy!

Jul 12, 2010, 9:35 PM

When I think of CU FB from the 80's, one of the first things I think of is the 1989 FSU game. When Chief Osceola throws the spear, the camera immediately shows Danny on the sideline, and he is laughing. Classic.
That was attitude. It's like when you went to bowl games back then. It didn't matter who you played, you knew we were going to win. I remember at those bowl games whenever I would pass other Clemson fans, You didn't have to say a word. You could just look at each other, and your expressions said it all. "We're going to kick their @ss". Get ready. This is where Dabo is taking us. GOOOO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1988 and 1989

Jul 12, 2010, 9:53 PM

Those were previews of what the Clemson/FSU games would have become, if Ford had not resigned at the end of 1989. If Clemson had kept going throughout the 1990s like they did in 1989, Clemson and FSU would have probably been one of the biggest rivalries in the nation. Forget about FSU and the 8 dwarfs, it would have been the Clemson and FSU conference. Such a shame that we lost a coach, who could still be coaching here today(he is younger than Spurrier), had it not been for the president, AD, or whoever it was that was jealous of him. I would have loved to have seen some of those defenses go up against Chris Weinke, Peter Warrick, etc. Not only that, but FSU came into the state of South Carolina in our down years, and stole some of our best talent. If Clemson had stayed where they were, we would have had a good shot at keeping the Boulware brothers, and players like them away from FSU. But, what happened cannot be changed, just hate it ended the way that it did.

Well said and all too true. What a shame and pity.

Jul 12, 2010, 10:20 PM

During the Ford era we saw the best of Clemson football.

Yes, and I got way too spoiled

Jul 12, 2010, 10:42 PM

I started following Clemson football, and all Clemson sports in general, when I was in about the first grade, in 1987. I attended my first two Clemson football games, and Clemson sporting events in '87. My first ever Clemson football game was against Georgia Tech. We beat them by three touchdowns that day. Donnell Woolford had a couple of awesome returns in that game. The other game I attended that year was against NC State, who seemed to be a thorn in Danny Ford's side. We were down 30-0 at halftime, my dad and I were going to leave, but he decided to stay to see what we did in the first couple of minutes of the third quarter. We scored early in the third, then we scored again. Before you knew it we were within ten points in the fourth. NC State ended up defeating us, 30-28. If I remember correctly, we had the ball at the end of the game. We were sitting around a lot of wusspack fans, and we had no timeouts left, and a couple of our players faked, or at least I think they were faked, injuries to stop the clock. I will never forget the way those wusspack fans booed and called us names. I have hated them ever since. I started following Clemson football when we were in our prime. Being as young as I was, I thought, for some reason, that Clemson was supposed to be good every year, and less than 10 wins was a bad season. I remember feeling sorry for the fans of the teams that only won 6 or 7 games every year. I guess the 1990s taught me a lot of lessons. I was way too spoiled with all of those wins in the late 80s, and early 90s. I hope I get to see Clemson become that way again some day.

Jul 12, 2010, 10:32 PM

One of my favorite all-time games, and certainly one of my favorite teams, right up there with the 1981 title team.

Jul 12, 2010, 10:32 PM

I was at both. It went from one of the loudest moments to so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Burt Reynolds supposedly bought FSU new white pants - was one of the first time they wore all white. 1989 was Wayne Simmons coming out party - he had a heck of a game, will never forget him spreading his arms out and airplaneing all over the field, we owned them that game, alot of fun to go to their tinkertoy stadium at that time and kick but.

I can't help but think this series had some impact on FSU

Jul 12, 2010, 10:37 PM

ultimately joining the ACC (over the SEC).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd give you a whole lot of points if I could!!

Jul 12, 2010, 10:45 PM

God Bless whoever went to all that trouble to post that game on YouTube!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That, my friend,

Jul 12, 2010, 10:49 PM

was Clemson football. Just think, what happened after that season. Ford fired and Hatfield hired. Thanks Max. What a smart move.

Jul 12, 2010, 10:52 PM

I will never forget that 1988 game. As disappointed as I've ever been at the end of a game. We had really taken control and begun to dominate defensively with the stop that forced the punt.
Then they pulled that play, a great play. I was up in the upper deck on the other end of the field and thought they snapped the ball over the punter's head. As I jumped up, I caught their guy out of the corner my eye streaking down the field and got a sick feeling in my stomach.
That was a tough one to take.
But it made 1989 that much better. ESPN made Ford out to be a country boob and he played along and then our team kicked some major tail.

Its depressing to see how physical and nasty this Oline is***

Jul 13, 2010, 1:31 AM

Danny Ford Proved You Didn't Need a Great QB to Win....

Jul 13, 2010, 8:26 AM

Powerful line, vicious defense, good kicker and and keep your opponents offense off of the field is the key........

That will still work in 2010...

Frank Breamer has been doing it for 20 years...

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Danny Ford Proved You Didn't Need a Great QB to Win....

Jul 13, 2010, 8:28 AM

uh, tajh boyd was one of the highest rated qb's in the country. has this fact just gone right over you peoples head.

That is sort of my point......

Jul 13, 2010, 8:31 AM

Everyone is really lathered up over KP or Tajh when we used to win with QB's that weren't among the highest rated in the nation...

Danny Ford Football required 2 huge things....Patient and Discipline...It takes a lot to grind it out if you have an itchy trigger finger and the desire to air it out.....

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Chris Morocco was extremely underrated

Jul 13, 2010, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Danny Ford Proved You Didn't Need a Great QB to Win.... ]

Made plays with his feet, decent enough passer, sound decision maker.

Perfect QB for the system we ran, as was Rodney, and to a lesser extent DeChane.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic