Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can college football be saved? I mean
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1,351

Can college football be saved? I mean

Apr 24, 2024, 1:38 PM

real college football where there is some connection between the players and the University beyond them just passing through for a few weeks to don a jersey on Saturdays and play football before they move on. Also, can there be any competitive balance between the programs across the country not in the SEC or Big 10 with those two conferences who are, along with ESPN and FOX, clearly, fully in charge of the sport right now?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes.. increase your admission requirements.

Apr 24, 2024, 1:46 PM

put the student back in student athlete.

Let the dumb 5 star players join the UFL or Arena league for 3 years before they become eligible for the NFL .

let them sign MLB contracts.
Let them join the NBA summer league.

you want to be a professional athlete.. go be a professional athlete.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: yes.. increase your admission requirements.

Apr 24, 2024, 2:13 PM

Exactly - and I think it will take a class action lawsuit by taxpayers to get the public universities to apply common/minimum acceptance requirements. When it comes to college acceptance, jumping high, running fast, or hefting heavy things above your head should not supercede academic performance.
Moreover, we are not doing the athlete student any favors -- he/she/they shouldn't have to pass college algebra to become a better football player.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So in other words, a pie in the skys chance. Clemson will not give up the

Apr 24, 2024, 6:44 PM [ in reply to yes.. increase your admission requirements. ]

athletic machine to get to your point. The President, AD, Dabo and all the fundraisers and 100k+ jobs that exist in the realm of athletics don’t want any part of what you’d be selling, so no chance.

Re: So in other words, a pie in the skys chance. Clemson will not give up the

Apr 24, 2024, 8:17 PM

Arizona, I believe Dabo has been preaching academics for years. Yes, it’s turned into a giant $$ machine and it’ll be hard to reverse once the ball started rolling downhill. Think Gov Well fare Program started in the 1960’s. I see your point, it’ll be hard to sell academic and sports together.

not for me. IF i was a Harvard grad.. i would watch Harvard football

Apr 26, 2024, 8:04 AM [ in reply to So in other words, a pie in the skys chance. Clemson will not give up the ]

i don't go to these sporting contest to see athletes.. I go to see Clemson student athletes play.

you still need coaches and facilities. You still need to recruit the best kids. SO those people will still have jobs

https://y.yarn.co/355ccd39-0283-49c9-991f-3699be3ee1c3_text.mp4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Not smart. .

Apr 25, 2024, 12:06 AM [ in reply to yes.. increase your admission requirements. ]

That would deprive the schools of milkin s of dollars per year, especially from football.

colelge football did noyt have veiweship before NIL?

Apr 26, 2024, 8:06 AM

before mega buy outs and zero stadnards?

South Carolina hasn't won do0do0.. they sell out their stadium.

Re: Can college football be saved? I mean

Apr 24, 2024, 2:23 PM

For years I watched that moron Kirk Herbstreit on CGD spout about how players should be paid, the talking heads said it, and the moron fans cheered it. Welp. We have it just like everyone wanted and now we are opining if it can be saved.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:44 PM

Some are I think it’s just as healthy and it was 10 years ago and the numbers agree as they continue to grow.

Apr 24, 2024, 2:26 PM

There is no going back to the way it used to be. The older you are the less you will enjoy this a new generation of college football. I assume younger fans will grow to love the game as it is because this is their normal.

I think contact sports are eventually going to go away anyway

Apr 24, 2024, 4:06 PM

Too much litigation and people just aren't going to allow their kids to play. The academics have always hated football, and will eventually find a way to kill it

Re: I think contact sports are eventually going to go away anyway

Apr 24, 2024, 5:45 PM

This is a pipe dream. It’s not even currently declining.

Not me.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Can college football be saved? I mean ]

We'll still have the Clemson brand with sports and especially football leading the way.

The sky is not falling.

Apr 24, 2024, 3:09 PM

well, whatever the plan is, you better figure it out fast cause after our generation passes by,... no one will care. the change in college football only sucks for THIS generation. give it 20-30 yrs and no one will know the difference. it'll just be college football, again. just not what we knew it to be. but, it'll be all they (the future generations) will have ever known.

Apr 24, 2024, 4:08 PM

That's not really true, because younger generations are relatively less interested in college football, compared to the older generations.

Apr 24, 2024, 4:12 PM

This. Clemson will have moved soccer to the football stadium and torn down the upper decks by then. Soccer seems to be the sport the young-uns care about more and more.

This has been said for 25+ years. Itll be said for an other 25+. And maybe one

Apr 24, 2024, 6:47 PM

day it’ll happen, but probably not.

Apr 24, 2024, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Can college football be saved? I mean ]

Growll

Apr 24, 2024, 8:20 PM

Grrowl, upper decks may be loaded with soccer heads by then.

It will be 7 on 7 touch football by then.***

Apr 24, 2024, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Can college football be saved? I mean ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2024, 4:06 PM

It'll go full circle.

NCAA will disappear...some 5 star will sue because he has to go to class...CFB will officially become the NFL minor league...interest will wane...some intramural team at Clemson will challenge an intramural team in Columbia and it'll slowly all start up again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can it? Yes. Will it? No.

Apr 24, 2024, 4:26 PM

Universities decided at least 50 years ago that academics should play as little a role in college athletics as possible.

Universities, not the NCAA bureaucrats, decided that academic standards were a liability to their athletic programs, not an asset.

All universities would have to do is implement the following rule (I'll use football for an example, but it could apply to any sport.):

You have 85 scholarships allocated for any given year. When you sign a student to a scholarship that student counts as one of the 85 until either of the following occurs,
1. That student graduates from your university.
2. Five calendar years have passed since you signed the student.
No exceptions.

Transfers? He still counts as one of your 85 plus he counts for the school he signs with as one of their 85.
Quits? Just decides he doesn't want to play football any more? He still counts.

Heck, with that rule I would even bump the number of ships up to 100 and let the schools have a 15% attrition (back to 85).

And, with that rule, see how quickly coaches quit signing kids who come to college in order to leave as soon as possible. See how quickly schools would quit accepting transfers who have no chance of graduating.

But, like I said, that will never happen. Universities (presidents, board of directors, boosters, etc.) are all united in their belief that academics should be an option, at best, when it comes to college athletes.

Re: Can it? Yes. Will it? No.

Apr 24, 2024, 4:39 PM

Why would you punish the program for a player transferring?

Vetting your recruits.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:01 PM

You recruit a student who wants to come to UGA to get a degree from UGA. You show him that playing football will be the means by which he can pay for that degree. If he changes his mind after one year and says, "I don't want a degree from UGA, I want a degree from Alabama instead" then I maintain that in 95% fo the cases, the degree is not the reason for the transfer.

And, that is why I said I would be willing to set the cap at 100 instead of 85. A school could lose 3 transfers a year and still be above the 85 present day cap.

Re: Vetting your recruits.

Apr 24, 2024, 6:35 PM

That still doesn't keep a kid from leaving a school. It just punishes the school he leaves. I suppose if anyone really wanted to stop or minimize transfers, they'd figure a way to exact a cost on the gaining school.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Can it? Yes. Will it? No. ]

I’ll bite. It shouldn’t be required. One goes to college to prepare for a career after. How is a football player any different. They are preparing for a career and just like some students they either fail out, transfer or don’t make it into their career path after college. How is football any different? Only difference I see is they are not learning from a book.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:54 PM

You shouldn't need to attend college classes to prepare for a career as a professional athlete.

Apr 24, 2024, 8:26 PM

Grumpa, colleges shouldn’t have to pay for someone’s pro prep if they don’t want to attend (legitimate) classes. Player represents a university, in good standing by playing a sport. In turn, said university trains athlete for life after college, be it sports or business.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:15 PM

What does a connection to the university even mean? You guys need to just accept the fact that football is still the great game it has always been and that the opportunity for students to transfer is reality.

Apr 24, 2024, 5:53 PM

Bingo can you yell that so all the old geezers can hear you.

Apr 24, 2024, 8:26 PM

I am sad to say that it will only get worse, but as of now, I'm continuing to find a way to enjoy it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2024, 8:28 PM

I like football … and it need not be the top rated top level teams, just football.

With that in mind, my fantasy road trip for 2024 has 6 FBS games (Clemson Georgia being one), 2 FCS games, 3 division 2 games, 4 division 3 games and 0 NAIA games.

Most years my fantasy is heavily weighted toward the FBS … but no more.

Apr 24, 2024, 9:17 PM

No it cannot...fanatics have created a win at all costs monster!

NCAA Basketball is doing OK

Apr 24, 2024, 9:20 PM

So why not football? I never thought the transfer stuff was bad , but we have to have some sort of salary cap to make NIL work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2024, 11:55 PM

No there is to much money involved for the players this day and time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1,351
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic